Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Puerto Viejo Part 2


I had the chance to go pet baby sloths, play with little monkeys and visit a save haven for animals along the shore of Caribbean or rent a bike and bike through the towns near Puerto Viejo while visiting beaches...I chose to sleep. I had to catch up there has been so much traveling involved I couldn't bear a long morning out in the sun. Since the weather had been awful the week before our group snorkeling trip was canceled, so I had the beginning of the day to rest. I did finally wake up and go exploring through the new town after getting some lunch with the group. I found an awesome ice cream/coffee hut and enjoyed some homemade mango ice cream, after an adventure at a black sand beach. I cannot describe black sand beaches~it was as if someone cut up diamonds and let the shreds rain in the sand. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. After exploring I got cleaned up for dinner and our group ate pizza in hammocks at our little hotel. We do not have a stereo or any form of music on our trips so we have been singing in large groups....we did this both nights before going out. Someone just starts singing a song and we all chime in, I enjoy my random group from the states. We have people from New York, California, a kid from Kingston in London, and girl from Canada came with us this weekend as well. It is a great group of people. We all had a new friend this weekend named Dr.Good Friend, Dr.Good Friend was a dog that followed us everywhere this weekend. There are stray dogs all over the beaches which is very similar to Peru and my friend Juan decided to befriend this strange dog that was following us home from the bar on Friday night. This dog came into our gated hotel area and stayed with us until the bus pulled out. She went to restaurants, the beach, the store, and layed right outside our rooms. It was great until the bus left and she trotted around looking confused (sticking her ears up, looking around) and we all hoped that somehow we would see her again though we knew that was childish. The last night in Puerto Viejo I saw a band that stole my heart called "Plan B"at a little outdoor bar (sort of reminded me of Ricky's little havana place from I Love Lucy) -Reggae music really soothes the soul. I had a great time sitting in a chair right in the front of the stage watching this reggae warrior bob marley look alike jam out. Right before the end of the show rain started to come down adding a new sound to the beat of the drums...it was also coming down through the cracks of the tin roof I was sitting under. I stuck out my hand and let a large downpour hit my hand like waterfall for at least a minute. It was truly the best part of the weekend and I won't forget it...I just wish i had taken more pictures-I don't even have a picture of the warrior.

No comments:

Post a Comment