Sunday, January 3, 2010

mama ticas...costa rican mama's


Miriam Ariza is one of the nicest people I have ever met, and no I will not take that statement back... I was fortunate enough to be placed with the same host mother of a student whom lead me to Costa Rica. I am so happy to have a comfortable place to live. The driver of the town named Victor drove me to Miriam's on Saturday I got out of the car and was so happy and relieved to see the place where I was staying...it is so cute. I cannot describe it to do the little house justice, and no picture will be able to show the comfort of the little house. It has so many great things about it, but the people are really what make the house. I was greeted with besos y abrazos (hugs and kisses) the minute I walked through the gate. Upon entering the house I met Javier and Marcela (Miram's son and daughter) Marcela lives here all the time and Javier lives here when he travels to San Jose to work as an advetiser for a company. I also met Javier's daughters (sort of like having little sisters :) and ive never felt like that before!) Diana 12yrs and Daniella 16 yrs (who live with their mother and were visiting). I sat down and talked to my host family for a little while about my travels, my hometown, and sadly the unfortunate event that happened before I left for Rica. I to sleep the rest of the day or unpack, but my mama tica told me I would have plenty of time to do that on Sunday...so they took me to see a movie at the mall! It was fantastic, Sherlock Holmes in English with Spanish subtitles (I was hoping for the other way around) but it was great. The ride to the mall was a great view of the sunset and the beautiful montains that surround San Jose. Marcela and Javier's daughters were the ones that took me to the movie and we met up with their friends at the mall where the movie theater was. It was like some kind of international festival there because I met up with their friend that studies all around the world and her boyfriend from Germany! :) The mall was three levels, and beautiful with many shops...the one thing that was completely out of the ordinary for me was that it was partially outside. There was a breeze everywhere you went because there are permenant (open) breeze windows throughout the mall. It smelled so fresh there! The lines for the movies were also particularly different, people waited for a half hour or more to buy tickets for every showing! Someone waited in line for us ahead of time (which was peculiar, but okay in my book) so that we would have them and not have to wait. Why doesn't everyone do this? I do not know?! Why do they not pre-order tickets? I do not know!? PECULIAR and I love it! Sunday morning I had an egg just how I like it accompanied by fresh baked bread, pinapples, bananas, and fresh-yes fresh orange juice! :) My mama tica is fantastic and we talked a lot today I walked through the house exploring all the little pictures, trinkets, and books in her house. My purple bedroom with floral bedspread is the best room in the house! For dinner we had arroz con pollo (chicken and rice) fresh potato chips, salad with lemon and tomatos and a special tea with lemon...ugh I love it, and I hope my stomach holds up because it seems so good all the time-I do not want to miss a meal! I completely forgot to mention Erin, she is a student lives here too! She arrived this morning from Minnesota and will be staying for three weeks. We went walking today and found that our school is only a few blocks away...fantastic. She is struggling a bit to understand things, but I commend her greatly for taking a trip when she doesn't understand a lot of Spanish. I would not be as brave as she is! We also went to mass with Miriam, that was the only part of Costa Rica I didn't even catch 50% of...but you could probably say the same for my catholic church experience at home! I will be going every week, so I am sure it will get better and better. Everyone here still has all their christmas decorations up...even the church (my mom would hate that) it is so weird to be somewhere warm and see Christmas trees!~ I have school tomorrow and can't sleep so here are some words...really for my own record, to share with whomever would like to live a little bit of the rica. pura vida

No comments:

Post a Comment