Friday, January 22, 2010

Piscina

Piscina (pee-see-nah) is the word for pool in Spanish. You may wonder how I learned to remember such a funny word, but wonder no more because I will briefly explain. DON'T PISS IN THE POOL= PISCINA I learned this word a long time ago and my way mnemonic. Ahh high school Spanish.

I said the word piscina a lot today.

Emily, Katlyn, and I all went to the local pool by taxi after school today. We decided all this schoolwork and no tanning was a damper on the week, so we looked into the nearest public pool. We heard it cost a dollar but we ended up not paying because when we got there we were directed to the owner. They were having swimming classes all day and were closed to the "public", but we pulled strings and said we would lay in the grass out of the way and not get in to swim but just to cool off and get right back out. The weather was perfect and only I stuck my feet in the pool once...we got to watch swim classes in Spanish, read our books, and enjoy the sun. The only lousy part was the lack of any chairs, only cement picnic tables which didn't look comfy, so we chose the ground which did have some interesting little ants. Laying on the grass thinking about how the similarities and differences of my grass and weeds at my pool compared and contrasted with that of the earth here was nice.

We ended up walking back instead of paying a taxi to drive us home, and we got the opportunity to stop at the "cheap" grocery store to stock up on sports drinks. 400 colones versus 1000 colones, which is the difference between about 90 cents and 2 dollars per bottle. When I found out why the sports drink was so cheap I sort of cringed....PALI is a grocery store name in disguise...it was really a mini wal mart....damnit Sam Waldon stay out of my vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment