Friday, January 22, 2010

Peruvian dishes in Costa Rica

This might sound crazy. Mashed potato's (warm) spread on the bottom of a square casserole dish with a layer of tuna from a can? (prepared moist with some kind of sauce (maybe mayonnaise) ) (chilled) with a layer atop that of guacamole (chilled) , with white rice (eventually mixed together on a plate) was spectacular this evening. Every other night there is something on the table that might look strange, but tastes great. This could be my love of food talking (the only food i really hate is blue cheese), but I think my mama tica knows what is going on in the kitchen. The night before was roasted chicken with carrots and potatos and salad. Goodness gracious! Most meals are always served with white rice in this house (maybe as to fill you if you do not like whatever is served for dinner) with black beans. MMMM Every morning my host mother makes me an over easy egg, which looks and tastes different from eggs in the States. The yolk is more orange and the egg tastes saltier even without salt. We also have fresh bread that my mama picks up from the bakery every morning and fresh cut fruit. Along with squeezed orange juice...mmm. The only thing I haven't gotten used to is the lack of liquid around this place. I do not think it is custom to drink something while you are eating at dinner...I do not like that. I am afraid to offend by asking if this is a custom because all I want is a glass of milk. Lol, also milk...as far as I know is bought on a shelf lol? Another post will soon follow with answers about the milk...

No comments:

Post a Comment