Monday, February 8, 2010

Elections of Costa Rica


Costa Rica has elected their first lady president: Laura Chinchilla. Today was an exciting day in Costa Rica, the pride for the election process of today was overwhelming. I have never been to Washington D.C. during the elections, but I can only imagine after today what it might be like during such an event. People line the streets with the colored flags symbolizing their presidential candidate of choice and cars honk at the ones they like as they go by. This has been happening for a week along with flags attached to cars and election rallies. Today was so different people filled the streets last night and today and it was a big flag "showdown". The showdown was a competition to see how many flags of a certain candidate could fill a street=SO MUCH FUN! My host family took me to see the voting polls which was like a family affair. It was a huge event to get dressed and go to the election, unlike at home where the soccer mom's pencil in 5 mins to stop at the local school or library to cast their ballot. It was so neat here to see the different process...I have mixed views on the candidates and their positions for the country, but I am not from this country so I don't have a lot to say. My family took me all over the city today to see the events which I am greatly thankful for. We also had lunch at KFC today ;) Not much different from the US except the cole slaw is sooo much better (less runny) I ended the night with watching the colts lose the superbowl in an Irish pub called Stan's with many of my Unitedstasian friends. The bar had a guy play acoustic covers right after the game ended...he was the bomb. Sounds a bit like Roger Waters, but plays all kinds of stuff. He was a student here 17 years ago from Canada and he never left-he now has a wife, kids, and a great accent. What a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment