Saturday, May 15, 2010

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

I made my host family a typical lunch that I would have eaten when I was a little girl. We were in conversation this week about what my host brothers and sisters used to eat when they were little and it sparked an idea for me. For all the food that my mama tica had cooked me over the last five months I owed her AT LEAST a nice lunch. We had grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, green apples and green grapes, and chocolate chip cookies. It may sound simple, but to them it was so different and they loved it. I forgot to get a beverage to go along with it so we had coca-cola, they loved every bit of it. I showed them how to dip the sandwiches into the soup (highlight of the lunch). They loved the grapes and apples because those aren't typical fruits that you go and buy at the store here, they are very expensive because they are imported. Chocolate chip cookies can be found in bakeries but it is more common to buy some sort of pastry instead of a cookie...they were Betty Crocker too, yum yum... :)
Overall it was a great gift to my family, I wish I could bring them all to the states with me to try all sorts of other different foods but that isn't possible. Cooking for them was the next best thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment